Fun Facts All About Baseball
April 2, 2016 @ 12:00am
1. Approximately 21 million hotdogs are purchased annually at baseball games. If placed end-to-end, they’d round the bases 29,691 times.
2. Have no fear, the chances are only 300,000 to one that you’ll get hit by a baseball and injured at an MLB game.
3. If a curveball was thrown on Mars, it’d become a screwball, giving hitters the advantage since balls would travel almost three times as far on the Red Planet.
4. There are up to nine ways that a batter can reach first base safely in MLB.
5. The average lifespan of a baseball is five to seven pitches, with up to 72 baseballs used during a regular nine-inning game.
6. In the event of an enemy bombing, whichever team is leading after five innings is declared the winner. The MLB established this rule during WWII.
7. During a typical MLB season, up to 160,000 baseballs are used.
8. Straw hats were part of the very first baseball uniform, worn by the Knickerbockers in 1849.
9. If popped straight up, the longest home run ever hit (in Rogers Centre, formerly Skydome, in Toronto) would not have hit the ceiling.
10. MLB baseballs are rubbed in a very fine, one-of-a-kind mud (Lena Blackburne Baseball Rubbing Mud) found in a secret location near Palmyra, N.J.
Fun facts courtesy of the following articles:
#s 2, 6: www.kickassfacts.com/30-kickass-interesting-facts-about-baseball/
#s 4, 7, 9, 10: www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/35-odd-baseball-facts-that-are-too-strange-to-be-made-up
#s 5, 8: www.lastwordonsports.com/2013/03/31/30-completely-random-yet-amazing-baseball-facts/